Gluten Free Hemp Pizza Crust
We're really excited about this one. Many of our wholesale customers come to us looking for innovative ways to use hemp as a gluten substitute. While we have no problem with gluten, some tummies do. Adding hemp to a simple gluten-free pizza mix is a great way to add texture and taste while making everyone's favourite 'junk food' staple - completely junk-free. In fact, you could even call it healthy with extra protein, healthy fats, fatty-acids and a cocktail of vitamins and minerals.
Have a go and let us know what you think!
The Dough: Makes 2 pizza bases
- 1 cup of gluten-free pizza mix (we like Bob's Red Mill's)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp of hemp oil (canola oil works too)
- 2 tsp of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of crushed hemp seed (a new wholesale product of ours) or crush your own de-hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tsp of fresh yeast
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of basil
- 1/2 tsp of parsley
- 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic
Your choice - go crazy. We've kept ours vegan with pizza sauce, zucchini, peppers, red onions, and fresh arugula with a sprinkle of hemp seed and a drizzle of hemp oil - but feel free to add pepperoni, sausage and loads of mozza. It will still be gluten-free, but maybe not quite so healthy.
- Pre-Heat oven for 325°
- Add GF dry mix, crushed hemp seed, seasoning, to kitchen aid mixer
- Add fresh yeast and start mixing on low
- Add water, oil, vinegar to dry mix and increase paddle speed
- Mix thoroughly until dough is mixed and uniform
- Let stand for 30 minutes, for the dough to proof
- Lightly spray pizza pan with oil, and begin to flatten the dough onto the pan
- Par bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes
- Add your toppings, and bake for an extra 10-12 minutes at 400°